Vegan Roasted Carrot Hummus
Quick and easy hummus variation with roasted carrots and garlic flavor. Perfect for your next summer party.
prep time: 10 min | cooking time: 30 minutes | 1 bowl
☐ 500 g (4 cups) carrots
☐ 5 tbsp olive oil
☐ 2 cloves garlic
☐ 2 1/2 cm (1 inch) ginger
☐ 1 can (400 g/14 oz) chickpeas
☐ 1 tbsp lemon juice
☐ 2 tbsp pine nuts
herbs & spices
☐ 2 tsp harissa (or chili paste)
☐ 1 handful of fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F) grill function. Line baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Peel, halve and cut carrots into strips (~ the length of your thumb). Rub with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and harissa.
3. Gently crush garlic cloves (leave peel on!). Put carrot strips and garlic cloves on baking sheet and roast in the oven for ~20 min.
4. Peel ginger. Drain chickenpeas. Add both to a blender with 1 tbsp lemon juice. Once roasted, add carrots and garlic (now without peel) and puree finely. Blend in 2-3 tbsp olive oil a little at a time.
5. To garnish, toast the pine nuts in a pan until brown. Sprinkle over the spread with fresh cilantro.
Why the peel?
Roasting garlic cloves with the peel on will prevent them from burning. Once roasted, the garlic will have a soft texture that you can then scoop or squeeze out of the peel.
Leave a comment